Hot Rod Magazine, February 1957, 2nd page

didn't know such things were possible. The man who used to look down his nose at anything he thought was a hot rod became eager to buy one of the factory versions when he discovered what enjoyable automobile periormance was.

One of the more lightly disguised factory hot rods was the 1956 Studebaker Golden Hawk. The Golden Hawk is only one of a series but it is the greatest Hawk of them all from the standpoint of gittin. and goin. The factory boys took a whole page, and we might say, one of the better pages, out of the hot rodders bible when they built this critter. They took the smallest and most streamlined car in their line and put a big hairy engine in it, just as the rod boys have been doing for lo these many years. It was a happy step in the right direction.

The 56 Golden Hawk was powered by one of the Packard line of V8 engines. This. of course. was made possible by the fact that Studebaker and Packard merged some time ago to form one corporation. Studebaker-Packard also built engines for other makes of cars in 1956 but they reserved the two largest models for their own use. One of these was a brute of 374 cubic inches and the other was a junior version of the brute with 352 cubic inches The junior version was used in the Golden Hawk.

Both of the larger Packard engines have the same piston stroke of 3 l/2 inches but they vary in their cylinder bore diameters. The brute has a bore of 4 1/8 inches and junior a bore of 4 inches. In other respects, such as valve diameters and physical size, the engines are the same.

As could be expected. the performance of the 56 Golden

One of the rod and piston assemblies used in the engine. The rod is stock but the piston is Jahns racing type with knurled skirt. Piston rings are by Grant.

Hawks, with their 275 advertised horsepower, was good. but also as could be expected. not good enough for some of the fellows that bought them. One of these fellows is Jack Lankert. Just what Jack expected from his Hawk we don't know, although the facts that he bought an overdrive equipped stickshift model and that he also drives a Chevrolet Cameo pickup with a fullhouse Chrysler V8 under its hood might be clues of some importance. His stable also embraces a Cad-powered 53 Stude coupe!

Jack took his Hawk to C-T Automotive in North Hollywood, California, and told Clem and Don (they own the joint) to give it the works. This in itself was a doing of some magnitude, in view of the fact that Jack lives in one of the settled areas - Dallas by name - of the great state of Texas, but he did it. And telling the boys at C-T to give a car the works is like opening the door at Fort Knox and inviting Charlie Hobo to help himself; Charlie won't miss a thing and neither will the gang at C-T.

As is customary with most engine conversions the first step at C-T was to pull the engine out of the Hawk and take it apart, piece by piece. to see just how it

was put together. This was the first of the breed the C-T crew had been turned loose on and there were things they had to learn about it before they could give it the treatment. After poking and feeling and measuring here and there it was decided to bore the engine’s cylinders an eighth of an inch and stroke its crankshaft three-eighths of an inch. This was just the start, of course, because there would be other things to do laler.

A few minutes with a slipstick brought to light some interesting information on the changes the boring and stroking would make in the engine. The most startling of these was that the displacement would be boosted to a staggering 414 cubic inches. This is an increase of 62 cubic inches or 17.6 percent. Of this increase, 38 percent would be due to the boring and the other 62 percent to the stroking. Piston head area would be increased from 12.55 square inches to 13.36 square inches. or 14 percent. Individual cylinder capacity would jump from 44 cubic inches to 51.75 cubic inches. The compression ratio would automatically be boosted from the stock 9.5 to 1 to approximately 11 to 1, which is plenty high for gasoline. So much for figures.

The three-eighths-inch stroker crankshaft used in the Packard engine in the Hawk was stroked by C-T's very successful welding process and then balanced in their shop. Balancing process involves entire crankshaft and rod and piston assembly.

Next page